My dear friends,
Words cannot describe how delicious this pizza is.
For those who know me well, I am addicted to potato pizza from Toppers. It is so, so good. But the greasiness pouring off of it also leads me to a small feeling of regret. Just a small one.
Regardless, after a week of experimenting with fun recipes and failing miserably, I decided to return to something I knew I would love. But with a healthy, less guilty twist!
Enter, the homemade potato pizza.
Perfect pizza crust recipe (adapted from the book ‘Pizza’ by Carla Bardi)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cup bread flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp onion powder
- Thoroughly mix active dry yeast with 1/2 cup warm water until yeast has dissolved. Set aside until frothy, about 10 minutes (or just as you prepare the other ingredients, if you’re impatient like me).
- Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl. When yeast/water mixture is ready, add that too.
- Proceed to add more warm water as necessary to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Dust counter with flour. Get flour all over your hands too.
- Take the dough out and knead it for awhile (8 minutes ish).
- When you’re done, pour some olive oil in the bowl and put it back in there. Cover it with a towel and say good night. Let it hang out for as long as possible (an hour would be great, but 20 minutes will do).
Potato pizza (adapted from here)
2 medium potatoes, cooked in the microwave or oven
1 tablespoon butter (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
6 veggie bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
3 green onions, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used Go Veggie)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz sour cream (I used Tofutti)
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes.
- In a bowl, combine butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Add potatoes and toss.
- Top pizza crust with potato mixture, bacon, onions and cheeses.
- Bake at 500° for 10 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Dip in lots of sour cream!