Okay, one last recipe for today.
I’m catching up from a fun weekend. 🙂
Tonight I finally perfected a veggie version of my mom’s amazing meatloaf. It’s so wonderful and delicious and I’ve been putzing with adapting it for a bit now.
I think I’ve finally got it!
The fun part is rolling it up. You flatten the outer layer of the veggie loaf on foil, top it with delicious things, and roll it up.
I always fail massively with this, but even if things are falling out all over the place, you can just kinda smoosh it back together before you put it in the oven. 🙂
Serve with lots of ketchup!
(Thanks Mom for the inspiration.)
¾ c oats
1/3 c ketchup
¼ c milk of choice
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp oregano
salt to taste
3 c (24 oz) mushrooms
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 c walnuts
1 1/2 c fresh spinach
1 ½ c (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add mushrooms to food processor and pulse just until in large chunks (it helps if you do small amounts of mushrooms at one time, so you don’t chop them incredibly small).
3. Cook mushrooms in pan with soy sauce for several minutes or until most of the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates.
4. Meanwhile, add walnuts to food processor and pulse until in small chunks.
5. Lightly beat the eggs; add bread crumbs, ketchup, milk, pepper, salt & oregano to mushroom/walnut mixture.
2. On a large piece of foil, pat mushroom/walnut mixture into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cover with spinach & cheese to within ½ in of edges.
3. Roll up, starting with short side & peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends; place with seam side down in a greased 13x9in pan.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until browned on top.