I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! I had a fun time relaxing with both my family & Patrick’s. There was lots of delicious food and far too many cookies. =)
I whipped up these stuffed peppers last-minute as a vegan option for our Christmas dinner. They turned out to be a great a main dish for us and a side dish for the others.
Black bean, sweet potato, & quinoa stuffed peppers (adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can black beans
1 medium sweet potato
2 Roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large red bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth to a boil (save 1/2 cup for later).
- Add in quinoa and bring to a boil again. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 15 minutes or until all the water is gone.
- Meanwhile, bring another small pot of water to boil. Add in peeled & diced sweet potato. Boil for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain water afterward.
- Stir together quinoa, sweet potato, drained black beans, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, and spices.
- Cut red peppers in half and place in a baking pan. Stuff with quinoa mixture and cover dish with foil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until peppers are tender.