Have you ever had those mashed potato bowls from KFC?
They’re absolutely awful for you, I’m sure. But pretty delicious right?
I decided if KFC can put things on mashed potatoes & call it dinner, then I can too! Only, of course, I healthified it up and added my favorite ingredients. So, it tastes nothing like the KFC version, but it tastes yummy, so I’m fine with it.
And yes, one of those healthy ingredients was cauliflower. Essentially, this is a bowl of mashed veggies (aka cauliflower) with more veggies on top! Which is pretty darn healthy & quite delicious.
Mashed cauliflower doesn’t taste exactly liked mashed potatoes, but I think it’s pretty yummy too & a great substitution for a lighter meal.
Hope you like it as much as I did!
Mashed cauliflower bowl (adapted from Fat Free Vegan)
2 bags of frozen cauliflower (1 lb each)
1/2 cup milk of choice
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp vegetarian broth mix
4 tsp cornstarch mixed with 4 tbsp water
1 tbsp butter of choice
2 cups spinach
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- Steam cauliflower on stove for 8 minutes or until soft (cook in a covered pot with a thin layer of water on the bottom). Drain in a colander on the stove when finished.
- Combine milk, water, seasonings, & broth mix in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it starts to boil, add the cornstarch/water mix and stir until everything has thickened. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another pan on the stove, saute tomatoes until softened and most water is gone. Add in spinach and cook just until wilted.
- Press any remaining water out of the cauliflower. Blend in a food processor until smooth. Add in sauce mixture from stove along with butter and blend all until well combined. Top with cooked tomatoes & spinach.
Mushroom gravy (adapted from Oh My Veggies)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
8 oz mushrooms
3 cups prepared vegetable broth
1 1/2 tbsp flour mixed with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp butter of choice
1/8 tsp black pepper
- Saute mushrooms in a medium pan with olive oil, onion powder, and thyme for several minutes, or until all liquid is gone.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil for 15 minutes (or until gravy has reduced significantly).
- Add flour/water mixture to gravy mixture on stove. Turn heat down to low and simmer until slightly thickened (2 minutes or so).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter & black pepper. Pour over mashed cauliflower bowl.