So, my mom used to make this wonderful southwestern egg bake, and it was one of my favorite dishes. It had eggs, it had cheese, it had sausage, it was nowhere close to vegan. But I decided to mess with this dish dramatically and make something that fits my current diet but tastes just a bit like mom’s cooking. 🙂
Basically, I used the same idea behind the tofu quiche to make this recipe vegan. And while I could have just replaced the sausage with vegan sausage, I prefer using whole vegetables instead of meat substitutes. They are cheaper & better for you, so I changed the entire dish up with a load of veggies!
Warning: I really love the spice in this dish so I went a bit overboard. If intense spices are not your thing, you might want to cut the amount of certain spices down a bit! 😉
Vegan southwest bake
6 flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
16 oz mushrooms
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 red bell peppers
2 cups spinach
1 can black beans (15 oz)
2 packages extra firm tofu
1/8 tsp black salt
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/8 cup milk of choice
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
Pepper to taste
Miso to taste
5 roma tomatoes
3 green onions
- Cook mushrooms with soy sauce until most of their water is gone. Add in other veggies and seasonings.
- In a greased 13×9. baking dish, layer half of the tortilla strips with the veggies on top. Repeat layers.
- Blend tofu with black salt, nutritional yeast, milk as needed, and remaining seasonings.
- Pour tofu mixture over contents of baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 30-50 minutes.
- Arrange tomato slices over the top. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle green onions on the top & serve!