So, I’ve made a lot of crazy complicated recipes in the past. But, I’ve had a busy/stressful week, so decided it was time to scale back a bit. Recipes can be both delicious & easy!
This soup was probably the simplest thing I’ve ever made. Just, wow. And it was quite yummy for the 20 minutes or so it took to make!
Fun fact- apparently you can freeze avocados! I bought my avocado a few days before I wanted to make this soup and it got ripe very quickly. I was worried about it going bad before I had a chance to make this soup, so I threw the whole avocado in the freezer, just to see what would happen. And hey, it didn’t go bad! I just pulled it out of the freezer an hour before making dinner & used it as usual. I can’t believe that worked. Ha. =)
Also, bonus recipe: instant healthy garlic bread. This is a perfect quick side when you need just a bit more to fill you up!
A note on buying bread – make sure to buy 100% whole wheat bread! Phrases like “wheat bread” or “multigrain” sound nice, but aren’t necessarily healthy. If you aren’t sure, check the label. You want “whole wheat flour” to be listed as the first ingredient. “Enriched flour” of any sort is not very good. Stick with the whole grains for the healthiest choice!
A few slices of whole wheat bread
Dried minced onion
Salt (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil. Lay slices of bread on it.
- Drizzle olive oil generously on slices of bread.
- Sprinkle bread with spices & garlic.
- Bake a few minutes until crispy!
Black bean soup (adapted from One Ingredient Chef)
2 15 oz cans of black beans
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 medium tomatoes
2 green onions, sliced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp lime juice
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
- Drain beans but don’t rinse. Pour into large sauce pan.
- Mash beans lightly with potato masher. You just want some of them mashed, but some of them intact.
- Add broth and heat over medium heat for a minute or two.
- Chop other ingredients and add in everything else (except avocado). Simmer for a few minutes.
- Top with slices of avocado when serving!