So, awhile ago I made a vegan version of my favorite Toppers pizza.
It was pretty yummy, but I’ve learned a lot since then! Introducing, the new & improved potato pizza. =)
This recipe is certainly not quick & easy, but I promise you the delicious end result is totally worth it! Stick with me, and you will understand what I mean. Mmmm.
Feel free to buy vegan cheese or pizza crust to speed this up, as making everything by hand does take a bit of time. You could also make some of these things ahead of time! Whatever works best for you.
2 medium potatoes, cooked in the microwave
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 tsp dried minced onion
Salt & pepper to taste
2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Cut cooked potatoes into small cubes.
- Combine potatoes with olive oil and seasonings.
- On a prepared pizza crust, layer coconut milk cheese, followed by this potato topping. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melty and crust is a golden brown. Top with chopped green onions and eggplant bacon. Serve with vegan sour cream.
Eggplant “bacon” (adapted from Post Punk Kitchen)
1 medium eggplant
2 tbsp honey or agave or maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 tsp smoked paprika (or just regular paprika will suffice)
pinch black pepper
- Prepare eggplant for baking by salting it to remove moisture & increase crispiness — cut it into slices, put slices in colander over sink and salt generously. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix sauce ingredients and pour in a small pan.
- Rinse eggplant with cold water and press with towels to get out any extra moisture.
- Layer eggplant in pan filled with sauce and let sit for several minutes to absorb flavor.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray cookie sheet with lots of olive oil. Layer marinated eggplant slices on sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping over halfway through. You want them to be super crispy. It’s okay if a few spots get burnt, they will still taste quite good!
Vegan sour cream (adapted from food.com)
1 package of silken tofu
3 tbsp olive oil
3-5 tsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Pinch of sugar or honey (optional)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. Start with the minimum amounts of lemon juice & ACV, then add more slowly if desired.