The holidays have been keeping me busy indeed. I’ve been spending the time with Patrick & his family, which is a nice treat. Unfortunately both my dog & his sister’s dog are quite rowdy, which means that constant vigilance is required to keep them from inevitably eating each other.
Anyway, I’ve been doing a little bit of cooking, but mostly of some tried & true favorites. I did make a vegan stuffing to bring to Christmas dinner however, which really ended up being a mixture of whatever we could find in his sister’s kitchen. Turned out great though!
Feel free to adapt this recipe to whatever you have in your kitchen or whatever your favorite stuffing add-ins are. We didn’t get a chance to make gravy, but instead found a store-bought mushroom gravy to put on top. I’m sure homemade would have been even better. We did, however, add in extra mushrooms to the store-bought gravy, which made for an incredibly mushroomy gravy and was a very good decision. I would highly recommend the extra mushroom approach. =)
Stuffing (adapted from Savvy Vegetarian)
1 loaf of bread of choice (or about 1.5 pounds)
2 tsp dried minced garlic
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp black pepper
2 cans vegetable broth
1 small package craisins
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bread into small cubes. Spray/drizzle olive oil on some baking sheets and spread on bread in a single layer.
- Toast bread in oven until golden brown & crispy.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees F
- Add bread cubes to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, add a little olive oil to a small pan. Cook carrots until soft. Add a sprinkle of minced onion or garlic to carrots while cooking.
- Add carrots to the bread cubes. Add in spices. Drizzle some olive oil on top. Stir until everything is combined.
- Slowly add in the vegetable broth and stir until it is absorbed. Add more broth as needed until the mixture is moist & clumping together, but not soggy. (I used about 1.5 cans of veggie broth).
- Bake in a covered dish for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute spinach with olive oil just until wilted.
- When stuffing is done, pour carrots/bread cubes mixture back into bowl. Mix in craisins & spinach.
- Pour back into dish & stir. Uncover dish & bake another 15 minutes to form a crusty top.