Do you ever have an intense craving for dessert and there is none to be found? On those occasions, I love making mug desserts. In case you missed the craze, it’s all about mixing a couple quick ingredients in a mug, and throwing it in the microwave. It’s easy & perfect for one person craving sweets.
For awhile, I was thinking that microwave ovens were terrible for you. I read that they cause cancer (not true) and that they make your foods lose nutrients (also not true). I’ve been reading a lot of blogs on nutrition & health lately, and I’m getting a little frustrated that people are making claims about “natural” things without looking into them.
While I love being healthy, and natural things may indeed be a good route to health, they are not necessarily always better! I think at the end of the day, it is important to look to solid research to figure out what works & what doesn’t. Sometimes, natural health methods aren’t always well researched, but sometimes they are. It’s always good to check first on Google Scholar and be well informed before trying any new remedy. 🙂
Anyway, back to chocolate. Here’s a recipe for a quick easy & vegan chocolate mug cake. Enjoy! 🙂
Chocolate mug cake (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
2-3 tsp olive oil
3 tablespoons milk of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in a coffee mug.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Microwave 30-50 seconds.
So, it was my birthday this past Wednesday! I’m 22 now!
Patrick came down to surprise me, and stayed just until today. I felt super special. It has been a lovely couple of days & it was nice to have him around. 🙂
I didn’t really have any plans for my birthday, but I ended up sharing cake with my roommates & Patrick, chatting with everyone, and playing this awesome board game Patrick gave me. It was a wonderful time indeed. Simple, but perfect.
I made myself a birthday cake that is chalked full of blueberries because they are my favorite. It’s definitely not a super sweet cake, as I don’t like crazy sugary things. It is definitely moist & light, but crazy delicious. Everyone who tasted it agreed it was pretty yummy. 🙂
Blueberry cream cheese frosting
16 oz 1/3 fat cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c blueberries
1. Blend together until smooth.
Very blueberry cake (adapted from dailyswadsugandh.com)
1 cup fresh blueberry
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup milk of choice
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Prepare 9″ cake pan by spraying with olive oil and lightly flouring.
2. In a bowl, toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour.
3. In a separate bowl, add all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt. Stir through flour mixture until combined well.
4. In a large bowl, beat oil, milk, apple cider vinegar and sugar on medium speed by using hand mixture until combined well.
5. Then add vanilla essence and flour mixture, mix together and beat on medium speed until well combined.
6. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
7. Fold in the blueberries and stir with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
8. Pour the cake batter evenly in the prepared cake pan.
9. Bake the cake for 60-80 minutes until a toothpick / cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn over the cooling rack and cool completely.