I love the fact that I have ridiculous amounts of free time at the moment. It’s so fun to be spending my time making food, reading novels, & pondering future life choices (graduate school in Europe perhaps??). My life is pretty wonderful indeed!
Also, these oreo cookies are just amazing. Mmmmm. They taste like coconut-y oreos, which I’m totally fine with.
The filling is made from either coconut cream or coconut milk – the difference is simply that coconut cream has a bit more of the coconut meat that you will be using for the filling, whereas the coconut milk has slightly less coconut meat and more of the coconut water in the can. For desserts, I recommend using the coconut cream because it has a slightly sweeter flavor & has more coconut meat, but you can use whatever you can find in your area!
Enjoy these cute & simple cookies!
Homemade oreos (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar (or xylitol)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk of choice
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup or agave
3/4 cup powdered sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cans coconut cream (or coconut milk)
- Combine first 4 ingredients.
- Combine all liquid ingredients for the cookies. Mix wet into dry.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking – this will keep the cookies nice & soft!
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Scoop the white cream from on top of the coconut cream. Leave the watery liquid for later – you can use this like milk in other baking recipes or add it to smoothies.
- Whip together cream with vanilla & powdered sugar. Put in fridge as well.
- Take cookie dough out of fridge & roll out thin. Use a cookie cutter or the bottom of a glass to cut circles.
- Bake on a greased cookie tray for 10 minutes – they will look underdone but take them out anyway.
- Let cookies cool completely before trying to remove. Spread filling on cookies & top with another cookie for oreo perfection!
- Store in the fridge so the filling doesn’t get runny.