I have an addiction to pizza.
There’s just so many ways to make pizza, so many toppings, so many combinations. It’s such an easy & delicious meal that I just can’t help myself. Not that I’m trying to stop it anyway. =)
And this pizza is the epitome of autumn. It’s so pretty colored with the squash and the apples. Butternut squash is probably one of my favorite things, and blue cheese is up there too, so clearly this pizza & me were made to be together.
As a side note, I always use the same basic pizza crust recipe because it’s wonderful & awesome. But, I think it’s quite fun to adapt the spices I add to the dough based on the recipe. Today I took out the other spices & just added rosemary to complement the squash. I think it turned out nicely!
Perfect pizza crust recipe (adapted from the book ‘Pizza’ by Carla Bardi)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cup bread flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp rosemary
- Thoroughly mix active dry yeast with 1/2 cup warm water until yeast has dissolved. Set aside until frothy, about 10 minutes (or just as you prepare the other ingredients, if you’re impatient like me).
- Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl. When yeast/water mixture is ready, add that too.
- Proceed to add more warm water as necessary to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Dust counter with flour. Get flour all over your hands too.
- Take the dough out and knead it for awhile (8 minutes ish).
- When you’re done, pour some olive oil in the bowl and put it back in there. Cover it with a towel and say good night. Let it hang out for as long as possible (an hour would be great, but 20 minutes will do).
Butternut squash & apple pizza (adapted from Savvy Eats)
2 apples, cubed
1 small butternut squash, peeled & cubed
4 ounces goat cheese
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a large pot, toss the apples and butternut squash with 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Cover and heat over low for 5 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 15-20 minutes. Apples & squash should be slightly browned by this time. Remove from the stockpot.
- Spread out the dough in a pizza pan, then brush lightly with olive oil.
- Distribute the squash & apples evenly over the crust. Crumble the gorgonzola & goat cheese over the pizza.
- Bake at 450F for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and the edges of the crust are firm.